Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ronnie and me


It is safe to say that no other player personifies the spirit of Joga Bonito more than Ronaldinho. Thus it was fitting that after four months spent in Europe desperately trying to capture the essence of Joga Bonito for nikefootball.com, our final stop was Camp Nou Stadium in Barcelona for one last shoot with El Maestro himself.

Two days after FC Barcelona’s monumental Champion’s League semi final triumph, we met R10 on the very pitch that saw them through to the finals. Our mission: to shoot him for the soon-to-be-released Joga Chain.

I have shot with Ronaldinho before but for some reason this shoot held extra meaning. Perhaps it was because our shoot was delayed for over a week thus delaying my own return to the US. Perhaps it was simply because of the God-like stature that Ronaldinho has ascended to these days. Nevertheless, it was safe to say that I was excited, nervous and totally stoked about this opportunity.

Unfortunately Ronalindho didn’t seem to share my enthusiasm. Understandably he seemed tired; after all, he had, only two days prior, fended off a desperate and extremely talented AC Milan team. On top of that, he spent the previous day shooting a Japanese advertisement, which he would have to continue shooting as soon as we were done with him. Nevertheless, despite his obvious exhaustion, he greeted my crew and I as if we were long lost friend - with his signature smile and a warm embrace.

For all his remarkable talents on the pitch, it is his infectious ability to evoke joy that I find most astounding.

Our shoot was short, 25 minutes to be precise, but as one would expect, despite his apparent exhaustion, Ronaldinho delivered the goods. I’d like to say that it was the result of our direction but I think it simply comes down to the fact that the essence of the Joga Chain concept is to inspire footballers to play beautiful. and there simply isn’t anyone in the world better at that than Ronaldinho.



1 Comments:

Blogger Patch said...

I just saw the chain video the other night with my kids. You guys did a great job. That whole campaign is great!

You have to tell me, did you drill a shot into the net while on the pitch to say you scored at Nou Camp? I know I couldn't pass that up.

Go Barca!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home